Thursday, December 24, 2009

JINGLE BELLS


It doesn't feel like

Christmas at all here

but I would like to wish you all

a very merry Christmas.



Our Christmas morning consisted of

ugly-looking chocolate covered banana

that I made last night,

and a cup of coffee.



Oh and this morning

we found out that cilantro seeds

germinated.

well, we found one or two germinating

yesterday and we found more today.




When I have my own family,

I wonder if I would celebrate this day.

I have plenty of good memories

but the more I think about

religions and hallmark holidays,

the more I question about

the entire culture about

giving and getting gifts

and such.

Maybe I feel it stronger because I grew up in Japan

and seeing Japanese people celebrating

a Christian holiday

always made me feel silly.




I think if I were a mom,

I will make me my family's

own holiday.

Like giving something

but maybe only handmade things

or maybe spend a day doing something together


....I don't know exactly

but something that doesn't have to be about

material.


Well, we will see....

2 comments:

  1. Mary Jean using Bob's laptop says: I think you are on to something here that has only taken us about 35 years to figure out. I was a wonderful Christmas because we chose to ignore the hype and just let it happen and let ourselves enjoy our family and the beauty of the day. The only way it was not perfect was to miss our two favorite people so much. But we are so happy we can talk to you and see your pictures. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays to you two nonetheless!!!
    I still really enjoy Christmas, but I know what you mean by how materialistic it is. I actually think New Years in the U.S. is pretty silly, not in terms of materialism, but in terms of social pressure, but that's just me. :P I much prefer holidays where you just spend time with your family and good friends and eat lots and lots of delicious food :D

    ReplyDelete